Domestic Violence & Immigration

Domestic Violence Lawyer - Immigration Attorney

If you are a noncitizen and are a victim of domestic violence, there are options that can allow you to stay safely in the United States. Leon J. Mezzetti, Jr., P.C. can explain these options, help you avoid deportation, and protect your safety.

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

A non-citizen who is married to a U.S. citizen may have limited immigration options alone. This is especially difficult when one spouse is experiencing abuse by the other.

There are two basic options for victims of domestic violence seeking permanent residency:

  • Self-Petitioning / Battered Spouse Petitions — Through the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), a noncitizen experiencing domestic violence who is married to a U.S. citizen may apply for permanent residency independently.
  • Cancellation of Removal — If a noncitizen spouse is in removal proceedings and is experiencing domestic violence, she can apply for Cancellation of Removal which would stop the removal process.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, there are additional options that may allow you remain in the United States. These may include an S Visa, U Visa, and T Visa. Leon Mezzetti can help you explore the option that is best for you.

Contact an Experienced Immigration Attorney Now

To speak to an immigration attorney in California, please call us:

  • Toll free: 877-791-1836
  • Local: 510-791-1836
  • International: 001-510-791-1836

You can also complete our contact form and we will contact you promptly.

For further reading: Domestic Violence, California Courts